Someone said :
The pro-GCN people seem to be saying that we need a print publication for LGBT in Ireland. And I agree. But is GCN really that publication? As it stands now, and as it's been consistently for the past 4-5 years, is it relevent?
What exactly would make a magazine relevant? I gues the following might make a magazine relevant for an lgbt readership:
- news about current legal or social developments that are about lgbt issues;
- news about current or recent indivents that are particularly relevantto lgbt people;
- news about lgbt organisations;
- news about lgbt people;
- articles about lgbt history;
- articles about lgbt-related films, books, TV, radio.
Many of the "news" items in that list can be difficult for a monthly magazine to deal with: (a) the web, blogs and discussion boards mean most of the obvious aspects of the news has been thrashed out well before a magazine hits the clear plastic stands; (b) getting at deeper stuff requires time and expertise (a problem that gives us "churnalism" in the mainstream newspapers); (c) deeper stuff can be boring.