Not everyone is living in modern accom. with loads of insulation that make it easy and cheap to keep the house warm. I could take you to loads of houses in my area alone including mine that are stone built with no insulation what so ever. Mine is drylined but has no isulation behind it so dampness has the walls all soft and u could put your finger through them and cant even hang a picture. Two old couples i know live in houses with no radiators, old stone floors, no insulation, old single glaze windows and only a big open fire and a 1980's stanley range to keep them warm. This isnt a thing of the past as its well known thousands of elderly across the country still live like this. During the so called tiger years they had nothing and were intitled to nothing even though the grants were "supposed to be avalable" but getting them was so difficult and full of bullshit many just couldnt get them and the ones that got them had mostly substandard work done by so called registered experenced building companies that cut corners everywhere they could to line there own pockets. I know this as i repaired so many of there fuck ups. Shaggy you said The units that were being given out weren't being used by over 20% What about the other 80%. Did you ever think the reason people try not go over the units they get is because they cant afford to pay the bill if they do go over it by much. Are you thrying to be smart..Im on the jobseekers and i will get to 20.00 a week. yippi. a bag of coal and 2 bales of briquettes. so i have a choice. Live in the sittingroom this winter with my constantly sick child or freeze and we can save up and get some oil to heat the house. Do you have any clue how much fuel you use when you nead to keep an old house warm and if you dont keep it warm the mold and dampness sets in like a bad rash in every corner of the house witch is the last thing my child neads to be getting sick from. If you dont believe me please send me your email address and ill show you as ive loads of pics of how bad it got here last winter even though i had the oil on, electric heaters running upstairs and down and the fire in the sittingroom going all day. This time last year i would of be thinking like you but now that im in this position its opened my eyes to how bad things are for people on benifits and dread how much worse its going to get. Its so easy to to hit hard times, but its so hard to get back on ure feet.